Friday, February 22, 2013

The Value of Flexibility and Inspirational Football Films


In ski racing, plans change. Schedules are made last minute according to snow conditions and training space. Athletes are injured and their whole year changes in an instant.  Entire weeks of racing are cancelled because of bad weather.

This is why it's so important to be flexible. I've been reminded of this lately because I was really expecting to qualify for the Canadian World Junior Team but - I didn't. I'm disappointed but at the same time I don't have any regrets about my approach this season. From my first day on snow 6 months ago until now, it's been a progression. I've gently pushed my limits and done what's felt right for me, given my history with injuries.

The most recent example of this was my emotional return to the infamous "Apex Downhill" this month.  It was where I had my first knee injury in 2007 as a gung-ho fifteen year old with no qualms about pointing my skis straight down the hill. Three knee injuries later I found myself this year as a tentative 20 year old wondering, "are we really starting from all the way up here?" I'm happy to say by the time I was finished with the Osisko Speed Camp (where I often started lower than the 15 year olds), the two Downhills, and the Super G race, I had re-claimed my love for speed and the Apex track.

Going off the jump at the Apex Downhill NorAM


A beautiful day for racing in Apex, BC


The BC Womens' Team and the AMAZING volunteers. My dad volunteered throughout the week (thanks Dad) and has since said many times "I still can't believe how hard those guys work." Followed by "most of them don't even have KIDS in the race!"



Last week I had fun at a Van Houtte Cup in Nakiska, Alberta. It was an easier level race so it was a good opportunity to practice different mental approaches and get on the podium. I came home with two silver medals and one gold.


Coach Aaron (Speedy) Speden who aced the wax on our skis, the girls with some serious hardware, and head coach Gregor Druzina.


 
My teammates Sarah Freeman and Charley Field won the other days and the rest of our team had super successful finishes as well! The team spirit was high and our coaches were excited. It probably had to do with the fact that we watched "Remember the Titans" earlier in the week.


 

And finally, here are some photos from a great free-ski day with my family at Big White!

Mom, Katri, Dad and Me skiing the Gem Chair.


Auntie Ruth, Uncle Donovan and all-star athlete cousins Dylan and Rachel!



Rachel and Uncle Donovan at the top of the Bullet.


Skiing without a speed suit is amazing!




1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the silvers and gold girlie!!! The "Remember the Titans" dance totally reminded me of gr.7!! Keep it up <3

    ReplyDelete